This homemade hard lemonade will be your new favorite summer cocktail! Learn how to make this refreshing drink from scratch using fresh fruit.
Hard lemonade get’s a bad rap sometimes. This is totally just from the pre-packaged versions of it, but when made from scratch with homemade syrup, vodka lemonade it’s a fresh, simple cocktail!
This lemon vodka cocktail is a combination of homemade lemonade and a little vodka! The lemon flavor is refreshing and balanced. A bit sweet, and a bit tart!
What kind of Vodka should I Use?
I like to use Tito’s Vodka for this simple recipe. Tito’s vodka is a high quality, American-made vodka that is gluten free. If you would like to use a flavored vodka, I recommend Deep Eddy Lemon Vodka or Absolut Citron.
Can I substitute lime juice?
Yes, you can make Spiked Limeade using this recipe. Just use lime juice instead of lemon juice! Any fresh juice from citrus will work, including grapefruit juice!
What changes can I make?
This recipe is delightful with a bit of mint added, or your favorite berry (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries). You can muddle the fruit and herbs, or just use them as garnish!
You will need the following supplies:
- A 1 gallon pitcher
- A long handled wooden spoon for stirring
- I like to use a highball glass or if I’m feeling super fancy, a coupe glass, but use what you have!
- Homemade Lemon Simple Syrup
- Lemon Juice
- Lemon twist or lemon wedge for garnish
- (Optional) sugar for sugar rim
Can I save Leftovers?
Lemonade can be saved up to 4-5 days in the refrigerator, but the sparkling water will become flat. If you plan to make it ahead, it is best to wait to add in the sparkling water until ready to enjoy or, you can replace the sparkling water with regular drinking water.
Have leftover vodka? Check out my list of the best, easy mixers for vodka drinks!
- 1.5 cups lemon simple syrup
- 1.33 cups sparkling water
- 2 cups vodka
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (3-4 medium lemons)
- 4 cups water
For garnish (optional):
- Twist of lemon
- Lemon Slices
- Fresh fruit
- Twist of lemon or slice of lemon for garnish (garnish optional)
- In a pitcher combine lemon flavored simple syrup, vodka, sparkling water and lemon juice. Stir together.
- Add regular drinking water until hard lemonade reaches your preferred level of sweetness. Stir.
- Pour hard lemonade into glasses filled with ice cubes or a chilled cocktail glass.
- If desired, garnish with lemon curls, lemon slices, berries and/or fresh mint leaves.
- Filtered water can be substituted for sparkling water if desired.
- Other fruits and/or mint can also be added to the lemonade to make other flavors if preferred. Some suggested flavors are strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, mint.
- More or less vodka can be used to taste, for a non-alcoholic version vodka can be replacing the vodka with regular drinking water or sparkling water.